A relocation move requires a lot of planning and work. However, after the last box is packed onto the moving van and headed toward your new destination the next step is getting yourself and your family there. If you are traveling by car, there are ten must-pack items to bring with you when moving.
Pack these items in a small box that will fit in your car, or get fancy and use a large tote bag, a durable plastic or metal file box or a decorative basket. Be sure to include an easily accessible file folder that contains all of your important moving papers.
- Identification cards – it may be obvious that you’ll need your driver’s license to drive, but also bring Social Security Card or any work, government or student IDs you may need.
- First aid kit – a basic first aid kit should include Bandaids, an instant ice pack, bandages, smelling salts and first aid cream along with rubber gloves and emergency numbers of current doctors to notify if necessary.
- Food, Bottled Water and Disposable Eating Utensils – bring snacks and canned goods. Don’t forget the can opener and a microwavable bowl for cooking along with a few reusable cooking utensils. Pack also paper plates and plastic eating utensils as well as disposable cups.
- Toiletries such as soap, shampoo, toothbrushes and toothpaste. Don’t forget something as basic yet necessary like toilet paper. Paper towels are also nice for cleaning up messes while traveling.
- Travel alarm clock
- Flashlight with batteries
- Washcloths and Towels
- Small tools like a screwdriver, hammer, pliers and wrench
- Light bulbs – this is an often overlooked necessity. Don’t take it for granted that your new home will come stocked with working light bulbs. Be prepared.
- Sufficient cash and credit/debit cards and checkbook – you never know when you will have an expense when you’re on the road and not yet settled at your new home. If you forget an item you need or run out of something that you packed, you’ll have access to the funds to buy what you need.
If you are traveling with children, infants or pets remember to include in your moving checklist special comfort items for children like their favorite lovey or blanket and items for your pet like pet food dishes.