Moving from Illinois to Minnesota can be a complex process, but by breaking it down into smaller steps, it can be manageable. Below are some steps to consider:
- Research the cost of living and housing in Minnesota, this will help you budget for your move.
- Find a new job or transfer your current job to Minnesota.
- Search for a new home or apartment in Minnesota.
- Arrange for the transportation of your belongings, you can hire a professional moving company, rent a moving truck or use a moving container service.
- Notify the appropriate government agencies of your change of address including the post office, the DMV, and the IRS.
- Register to vote in Minnesota if you plan to vote in the state.
- Update your address on all your important documents like bank accounts, insurance policies, licenses, etc.
- Obtain a Minnesota Driver’s License and vehicle registration if you plan to drive in the state.
- Set up new utility services for your new home like electricity, gas, internet, and cable.
- Inform family and friends of your new address and contact information.
- Review and comply with Minnesota’s state tax laws and regulations.
- Research about the healthcare system and options available in Minnesota, like the MinnesotaCare program which provides health coverage for low-income individuals and families.
- Research on schools and education options if you have kids.
- Look into any specific professional licenses or certifications you may need to obtain in Minnesota if you are in a profession that requires it.
Keep in mind that Minnesota has different laws and regulations compared to Illinois, so it’s important to familiarize yourself with them before moving. And don’t forget to enjoy the new adventure and explore the new place.
Average Cost Of Moving From Illinois To Minnesota
The cost of moving from Illinois to Minnesota will vary depending on factors such as the size of the move, distance, and the services needed (i.e. full service moving, rental truck, etc.). On average, the cost of a long distance move can range from $2,000 to $6,000 or more. It is best to get quotes from multiple moving companies to compare costs and services.