Moving from Illinois to Florida can be a complex process, but by breaking it down into smaller steps, it can be manageable. Below are some steps to consider:
- Research the cost of living and housing in Florida, this will help you budget for your move.
- Find a new job or transfer your current job to Florida.
- Search for a new home or apartment in Florida.
- Arrange for the transportation of your belongings, you can hire a professional moving company, rent a moving truck or use a moving container service.
- Notify the appropriate government agencies of your change of address including the post office, the DMV, and the IRS.
- Register to vote in Florida if you plan to vote in the state.
- Update your address on all your important documents like bank accounts, insurance policies, licenses, etc.
- Obtain a Florida Driver’s License and vehicle registration if you plan to drive in the state.
- Set up new utility services for your new home like electricity, gas, internet, and cable.
- Inform family and friends of your new address and contact information.
- Review and comply with Florida’s state tax laws and regulations.
- Research about the healthcare system and options available in Florida.
- Research on schools and education options if you have kids.
- Look into any specific professional licenses or certifications you may need to obtain in Florida if you are in a profession that requires it.
- Familiarize yourself with the Florida’s specific benefits like the Florida Medicaid if you are eligible.
Keep in mind that Florida has different laws and regulations compared to Illinois, so it’s important to familiarize yourself with them before moving. And don’t forget to enjoy the new adventure and explore the new place.
Average Cost Of Moving From Illinois To Florida
The cost of moving from Illinois to Florida will depend on several factors, such as the distance between the two locations, the size and weight of your belongings, and any additional services you may need (such as packing or storage). On average, the cost of a long-distance move from Illinois to Florida can range from $2,500 to $6,000 or more. It is recommended to get multiple quotes from professional moving companies and compare the costs and services offered to find the best option for you. Keep in mind that the cost may be higher during the peak moving season which is typically between May and September.