Moving from Illinois to Colorado can be a complex process, but by breaking it down into smaller steps, it can be manageable. Below are some steps to consider:
- Research the cost of living and housing in Colorado, this will help you budget for your move.
- Find a new job or transfer your current job to Colorado.
- Search for a new home or apartment in Colorado.
- Arrange for the transportation of your belongings, you can hire a professional moving company, rent a moving truck or use a moving container service.
- Notify the appropriate government agencies of your change of address including the post office, the DMV, and the IRS.
- Register to vote in Colorado if you plan to vote in the state.
- Update your address on all your important documents like bank accounts, insurance policies, licenses, etc.
- Obtain a Colorado Driver’s License and vehicle registration if you plan to drive in the state.
- Set up new utility services for your new home like electricity, gas, internet, and cable.
- Inform family and friends of your new address and contact information.
- Review and comply with Colorado’s state tax laws and regulations.
- Research about the healthcare system and options available in Colorado, like the Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) which provides health coverage for low-income children.
- Research on schools and education options if you have kids.
- Look into any specific professional licenses or certifications you may need to obtain in Colorado if you are in a profession that requires it.
Keep in mind that Colorado has different laws and regulations compared to Illinois, so it’s important to familiarize yourself with them before moving.
Average Cost Of Moving From Illinois To Colorado
The cost of moving from Illinois to Colorado will vary depending on factors such as the distance of the move, the size of your household, and the specific services you require. On average, the cost of a long-distance move from Illinois to Colorado can range from $2,000 to $5,000 for a small apartment, and up to $12,000 or more for a larger home. It is best to get quotes from multiple moving companies to compare prices and services.