Moving from California to New York can be a big change and requires a lot of planning. Here are a few things to keep in mind when planning a move from California to New York:
- Hire a reputable moving company: It’s important to do your research and hire a moving company that is licensed and insured. Ask for quotes from multiple companies and read reviews before making a decision.
- Make a list of items to bring: Make a list of the items you want to bring with you and determine which items you no longer need or can’t take with you.
- Check for state regulations: Look into any regulations or restrictions for moving certain items, such as plants or firearms, across state lines.
- Register your vehicle: You’ll need to register your vehicle in New York within 30 days of moving there.
- Update your address: Don’t forget to update your address with the post office, banks, and other important contacts.
- Research the area: Before moving, research the area you’ll be living in to learn more about the cost of living, job opportunities, and the community.
- Weather: Be prepared for a much different weather than what you are used to, New York has cold and snowy winters and hot and humid summers, specially in the city.
- Cost of living: New York City is known for its high cost of living, specially housing and transportation, so it’s important to be aware of that and plan accordingly.
- Public transportation: New York City has one of the best public transportation systems in the country, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with it, specially if you’re planning on living in the city.
- Renting: Keep in mind that in New York City, most of the housing is rented, and it’s a good idea to start looking for an apartment as soon as possible, since the process can be long and competitive.
Overall, moving from California to New York can be a big change, but with proper planning and preparation, it can be a smooth transition.
Average Cost Of Moving From California To New York
The cost of moving from California to New York will depend on several factors, including the amount of belongings you need to move, the distance between your current and new homes, and the type of moving service you choose. On average, a long-distance move from California to New York can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000 or more. Factors that can affect the cost include the weight of your belongings, the distance of the move, and any additional services you may need, such as packing and unpacking or storage. It is recommended to get multiple quotes from different moving companies to compare costs and services. Keep in mind that moving to a big city like New York might have additional costs like parking and storage permits, which can add up.
Movers From California to New York
For moving from California to New York, consider these moving companies:
- Allied Van Lines
- North American Van Lines
- U-Pack Moving
- Bekins Van Lines
- National Van Lines
- United Van Lines
It’s recommended to compare quotes from multiple movers and check their reviews before making a decision.
Cheapest Way To Move From California to New York
The cheapest way to move from California to New York would be by using a combination of options such as:
- Renting a small U-Haul truck and doing a road trip.
- Shipping some items through a moving container company and taking only essentials in a personal vehicle.
- Taking advantage of discounts for booking the move in advance and during off-peak moving season.
How Long Does It Take To Move From California to New York
The average driving time from California to New York is about 56 hours, but this can vary depending on the exact starting and ending points, traffic, road conditions, and driving speed.