There are several options that can help you save money on a long-distance move. Here are a few of the cheapest long distance moving options:
- Rent a moving truck: Compare prices from different truck rental companies and book in advance to get the best deal. This option is best for those who are willing to do the majority of the work themselves.
- Pods or Shipping Containers: Some companies offer moving container rental services, which are a cheaper alternative to hiring a moving truck. You can load and unload the container yourself, and the company will transport it to your new home.
- Hire a moving labor service: Hire a moving labor service to help you load and unload your belongings onto a rental truck. This can be less expensive than hiring a full-service moving company.
- Virtual Move: A virtual move is a service where you ship a box of your belongings to your destination, and the company will photograph and inventory the items, allowing you to unpack and organize your belongings as if you were there.
- Move during off-peak season: Moving during the off-peak season (fall, winter) may be cheaper than moving during the peak season (spring, summer)
- Sell or donate items: Before moving, consider selling or donating items that you don’t need or use. This can help to reduce the amount of items you need to move, and also help you to save money.